1. Find accommodation:
– Room in a student residence
– on the "black boards" (notice boards) at the university of applied science or university
– private rental, e.g. through local newspapers or on the internet
Please note: The Studienkolleg cannot arrange accommodation.
However, we provide you with this information brochure for your apartment search!
Once you have arranged your accommodation, you must register your new address with the relevant residents' registration office. In Kaiserslautern this is the "Bürgercenter".
Find out more about studying and living in Germany at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
On admission to the Studienkolleg you will immediately become a student of the Kaiserslautern University of Applied Sciences for one semester (01.03-31.08 or 01.09-28.02). This process is called enrolment and requires the following actions:
– Obtain a health insurance certificate so you are covered for the coming semester.
– Pay the social contribution via your bank. You can get bank transfer forms from the secretariat at the Studienkolleg.
– Take your health insurance certificate, a passport photo and your passport for enrolment to the secretariat at the Studienkolleg.
– Once your contribution has reached the bank account of the Kaiserslautern University of Applied Sciences, you will be able to get your student card, which states your enrolment number, from the secretariat at the Studienkolleg.
Please note: If you do not apply for enrolment within 2 weeks of the start of lessons, you will lose your entitlement to a study place.
If you are not a citizen of an EU member state, you will need a residence permit in order to study at the Studienkolleg.
You will obtain your first residence permit when you present your visa on arrival which is in general valid for three months. If you pass the entrance examination, first find accommodation and register at the residents’ registration office.
You must then apply to the immigration authority where you live for an extension to your residence permit. In Kaiserslautern this is the "Ausländerbehörde" (immigration authority).
In order to obtain the extension to your residence permit you will need a participation certificate from the Studienkolleg which you can get in the secretariat.
1. At the start of the semester provide the secretariat at the Studienkolleg with the following information:
– Your new address (and let us know if you change your address during the semester)
– Your current email address and mobile phone number
– Name and telephone number of an emergency contact person we should contact in case of sudden illness or accident
– If you are still a minor (under 18 years old): email and telephone number of your legal representative
2. Check the following:
– Were your application documents complete?
If not, you will be notified during the first week of the lessons. Provide us with the missing application documents as soon as possible.
- The lessons start at 1st weekday of March in the summer semester; at 1st weekday of September in the winter semester.
- In total you will have a maximum of 34 semester hours (SWS) of teaching. One SWS is 45 minutes.
- Teaching takes place between Monday and Friday.
- The lessons normally take place on Morlauterer StraßeCampus, Building A.
- If you are admitted to the Studienkolleg you are expected to attend classes regularly.
- If you miss a teaching session, you will need to provide a written reason for absence (forms can be obtained in the secretariat) as well as a medical certificateor certificate issued by the authorities.
- If you miss more than 25,0% of the lessons without a valid reason, you will not be allowed to take the assessment examination "Feststllungsprüfung".
If your question relates to the organisation, please direct it to the student secretariat of the Studienkolleg
If your question relates to the content of the lessons, please direct it to the lecturers of the Studienkolleg
Especially interesting for your studies at the Studienkolleg:
The Studienkolleg has its own textbook collection in the library (Campus Kammgarn, Building E, Room 2.000.03):
Lambacher/Schweizer, Analytische Geometrie mit linearer Algebra
Lehr- und Übungsbuch Mathematik Band 3 (Analysis und lineare Algebra)
- Computer Science
Zeitler/Simon, Physik für Techniker
Lindner, Physik für Ingenieure
Bofinger, Grundzüge der Volkswirtschaftslehre
Schierenbeck, Grundzüge der Betriebswirtschaftslehre
Fischbach, Grundlagen der Kostenrechnung
The Studienkolleg has a PC pool for its students on campus Morlauterer Straße, building B.
There are also PC pools available for all students on Kammgarn campus, building E.
In the PC pools your student login enables you to use the computers and printers.
The IT centre has a service point for students on campus Kammgarn, building E. You can get help here if you are having problems with the university IT system.
The cafeteria scheduleshows you the weekly menu at the cafeteria on campus Kammgarn, building G.