If you are not a citizen of an EU member state, you will need a residence permit in order to study at the Studienkolleg.
You will obtain your first residence permit when you present your visa on arrival which is in general valid for three months. If you pass the entrance examination, first find accommodation and register at the residents’ registration office.
You must then apply to the immigration authority where you live for an extension to your residence permit. In Kaiserslautern this is the "Ausländerbehörde" (Immigration Office).
In order to obtain the extension to your residence permit you will need a participation certificate from the Studienkolleg which you can get in the secretariat.
1. Find accommodation:
- Room in a student residence
- on the "black boards" (notice boards) at the university of applied science or university
- private rental, e.g. through local newspapers or on the internet
Please note: The Studienkolleg cannot arrange accommodation.
However, we provide you with this information brochure for your apartment search!
Once you have arranged your accommodation, you must register your new address with the relevant Residents' Registration Office. In Kaiserslautern this is the "Bürgercenter".
Find out more about studying and living in Germany at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
When you are admitted to the Studienkolleg, you also become a student at Kaiserslautern University of Applied Sciences for one semester.
- Summer semester: 01.03.-31.08.
- Winter semester: 01.09.-28.02.
This process is called matriculation (Immatrikulation) and is primarily carried out electronically.
If you have not applied for enrolment no later than 2 weeks after the start of classes, you will lose your entitlement to your place at the university.
Please note the information sheet for new students (in German) under News
- The lessons start at 1st weekday of March in the summer semester; at 1st weekday of September in the winter semester.
- In total you will have a maximum of 34 semester hours (SWS) of teaching. One SWS is 45 minutes.
- Teaching takes place between Monday and Friday.
- The lessons normally take place on Morlauterer StraßeCampus, Building A.
- If you are admitted to the Studienkolleg you are expected to attend classes regularly.
- If you miss a teaching session, you will need to provide a written reason for absence (forms in Downloads) as well as a medical certificateor certificate issued by the authorities.
- If you miss more than 25,0% of the lessons without a valid reason, you will not be allowed to take the assessment examination "Feststllungsprüfung".
If your question relates to the organisation, please direct it to the student secretariat of the Studienkolleg
If your question relates to the content of the lessons, please direct it to the lecturers of the Studienkolleg
Especially interesting for your studies at the Studienkolleg:
The Studienkolleg has its own textbook collection in the library (Campus Kammgarn, Building E, Room 2.000.03):
Lambacher/Schweizer, Analytische Geometrie mit linearer Algebra
Lehr- und Übungsbuch Mathematik Band 3 (Analysis und lineare Algebra)
- Computer Science
Zeitler/Simon, Physik für Techniker
Lindner, Physik für Ingenieure
Bofinger, Grundzüge der Volkswirtschaftslehre
Schierenbeck, Grundzüge der Betriebswirtschaftslehre
Fischbach, Grundlagen der Kostenrechnung
The Studienkolleg has a PC pool for its students on campus Morlauterer Straße, building B.
There are also PC pools available for all students on Kammgarn campus, building E.
In the PC pools your student login enables you to use the computers and printers.
The IT centre has a service point for students on campus Kammgarn, building E. You can get help here if you are having problems with the university IT system.
The cafeteria scheduleshows you the weekly menu at the cafeteria on campus Kammgarn, building G.