The "examination for assessment of suitability for admission to specialist study in German higher education" - the assessment test "Feststellungsprüfung - is the final examination at the Studienkolleg which earns the direct subject-specific entrance qualification for higher education.
If you pass the examination, you are entitled to study at German universities of applied sciences and universities.
The assessment test takes place twice a year, at the end of each semester.
- successful participation in a course at the Studienkolleg (see attendance regulations)
- or:acceptance for the external assessment test
You are allowed to resit the test once. Only if your residence permit is still valid for the following semester.
Type of test
written & oral
mathematics and Computer science
physics (electrical engineering, mechanics)
written & oral
mathematics and computer science
political and business economics
Upon request candidates can be exempted from the assessment test "Feststellungsprüfung" in German if they can show as proof one of the following (application until the beginning of the semester):
- a certificate for the German language exam for university admission (DSH 2) with evidence of full linguistic proficiency or
- the German language diploma of the Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs level II (DSD II) or
- the major or minor language diploma of the Goethe Institute or
- the Central Advanced Language Test (ZOP) of the Goethe Institute or
- a TestDaF certificate at TDN level 4 in all subtests or
- a "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule" certificate
You can find the request for exemption under Downloads
It is possible to take the final assessment test without having studied a course at the Studienkolleg. You will need to apply for admission to the external assessment test.
Following your application, immediately contact the lecturers who will be assessing you to find out what you will be required to know for the test in each subject.