Applying with foreign education certificates

Do you have school or university qualifications from another country and would like to apply to study at our university? The way to apply will depend on your nationality. When transferring from another university, what is important is whether you have previously studied in Germany or another country.

Generally, those applying to study at the university who do not have German pre-university qualifications must be able to provide evidence of adequate knowledge of the German language. For foreign applicants, this is proven by completing the "German as a Foreign Language Test" (in German: "Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache” [TestDaF]) with an average score of 4 in all four parts or better, by completing the "German Language University Entrance Exam" (in German: “Deutschen Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang” [DSH]) with a score of 2 or better, by completing an assessment test at a preparatory college, or in any other suitable way that shows that your language skills.   

Please cosider, that some degree courses may request different language skills, so you have also to check the webpages of the different faculties.

Exchange students can find more information at the International Officehomepage.

Foreign citizens

You have foreign education certificates and have citizenship in another country. Please apply via uni-assist (the University Application Service for International Students). The uni-assist website thoroughly explains each step you must take.

There are fixed deadlines in place for applications via uni-assist.

Important note for applications for Architecture, Interior Design and Visual Design

In addition to the application, you must also register for the aptitude test for the desired degree course by June 1st (Application to participate in the aptitude test). Please select your degree course:

Transferring from another university

If you have not yet attended university in Germany, please apply as described above - uni-assist. If you have already attended university in Germany and wish to continue your studies with us, please read the information on transferring from another university.

Preparatory College in Rhineland-Palatinate

If the education certificates from your home country do not qualify you to attend university, you must complete an assessment test at a preparatory college before you may begin your studies. To do this, you can apply directly to the Hochschule Kaiserslautern’s own International Preparatory College.

You can find more information on recognition of foreign education certificates, including whether or not you must complete an assessment test, at the information portal

Have you already attended the Preparatory College?

If you have already successfully completed an assessment test at a Preparatory College in Rhineland-Palatinate, you can apply to us directly and must not apply via uni-assist. These applicants can use the same application procedure as German students and EU/EEA citizens

Please select the option applicable to you:

Studying in Germany

You can find useful information and tips for studying in Germany at the DAAD website.

Important note

When applying, please ensure that you will be able to begin your studies punctually. Everything takes a little time:

  • Transferring the fee
  • Inspection of your application documents
  • Visa application
  • Enrollment


Applicants with foreign education certificates can ask their questions about their application documents directly at uni-assist.

Questions about application documents with German education certificates can contact the Studierendensekretariat der Hochschule.