Skip to main content


When studying at the International Studienkolleg, you must be able to fund at least 6 months living costs in Germany. The following summary will help you work out your costs:


Tuition fees:
You do not have to pay any tuition fees in Rheinland-Pfalz.


Social contribution:
You will find the current social contribution amount for the University of Kaiserslautern here
For students at the Kaiserslautern University of Applied Sciences the Student Union is responsible for running, among other things, the student residences and the cafeteria. Eating in the cafeteria is cheaper than eating out at a restaurant, the rent for a room in a student residence is lower than for a private rental. To offset this, all students support the student union through the social contribution.


The "Semesterticket" (transportation ticket) is included in the social contribution; there are no additional costs. The VRN-Semester-Ticket plus Westpfalz is valid throughout a large area between Saarbrücken and Mannheim/Ludwigshafen.


Health insurance:
Costs for student health insurance depend on the provider and vary between 30 and 70 Euros per month.
In Germany all students are required to take out health insurance. If you become ill this will cover the costs of medical treatment. At the start of the semester you must provide the Studienkolleg with evidence of your health insurance. The health insurance must be valid for the entire semester (01.03-31.08 or 01.09-28.02).


Living costs:
Your living costs, such as accommodation, clothing, food and drink, etc., will depend on your own lifestyle habits. Work out your individual living costs