Skip to main content

First steps at the Studienkolleg

You should already:

  1. have confirmed your study place at the Studienkolleg in good time
  2. know when the lessons begin


For a successful start at the Studienkolleg please read the information sheet for new students (in German).


1. Find accommodation:
– Room in a student residence
– on the "black boards" (notice boards) at the university of applied science or university
– private rental, e.g. through local newspapers or on the internet

Please note: The Studienkolleg cannot arrange accommodation.

However, we provide you with this information brochure for your apartment search!

2. Register:
Once you have arranged your accommodation, you must register your new address with the relevant residents' registration office. In Kaiserslautern this is the "Bürgercenter".
Find out more about studying and living in Germany at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

On admission to the Studienkolleg you will immediately become a student of the Kaiserslautern University of Applied Sciences for one semester (01.03-31.08 or 01.09-28.02). This process is called enrolment and requires the following actions:
– Obtain a health insurance certificate so you are covered for the coming semester.
– Pay the social contribution via your bank. You can get bank transfer forms from the secretariat at the Studienkolleg.
–  Take your health insurance certificate, a passport photo and your passport for enrolment to the secretariat at the Studienkolleg.
– Once your contribution has reached the bank account of the Kaiserslautern University of Applied Sciences, you will be able to get your student card, which states your enrolment number, from the secretariat at the Studienkolleg.
Please note: If you do not apply for enrolment within 2 weeks of the start of lessons, you will lose your entitlement to a study place.

If you are not a citizen of an EU member state, you will need a residence permit in order to study at the Studienkolleg.

You will obtain your first residence permit when you present your visa on arrival which is in general valid for three months. If you pass the entrance examination, first find accommodation and register at the residents’ registration office.

You must then apply to the immigration authority where you live for an extension to your residence permit. In Kaiserslautern this is the "Ausländerbehörde" (immigration authority).

In order to obtain the extension to your residence permit you will need a participation certificate from the Studienkolleg which you can get in the secretariat.

1. At the start of the semester provide the secretariat at the Studienkolleg with the following information:
– Your new address (and let us know if you change your address during the semester)
– Your current email address and mobile phone number
– Name and telephone number of an emergency contact person we should contact in case of sudden illness or accident
– If you are still a minor (under 18 years old): email and telephone number of your legal representative


2. Check the following:
– Were your application documents complete?
If not, you will be notified during the first week of the lessons. Provide us with the missing application documents as soon as possible.


You will find an overview of the costs of studying at the Studienkolleg here

Find out here whether you are entitled to financial support in accordance with the Federal Education Assistance Act (BAfög).