What funding is available to me?
In pursuing a degree course, having and raising children can be a sensitive topic. This especially applies to single mothers, who often have to deal with the stress of reconciling their studies, families, and employment. This grant program aims to lessen these burdens, thereby enabling the student to concentrate on their studies.
Currently, grants are awarded twice a year to help cover study material costs, with each grant term lasting 6 months. It is possible to apply to extend the grant term. Extension application form
The grants are first awarded at the start of the semester, and generally end with the expiry of the grant term. The grant is immediately ceased if the recipient abandons their studies.
What requirements do I have to fulfill?
At the start of the grant term, you must be enrolled as a first degree student. You must be a single mother and be able to evidence this. The application process contains a face-to-face interview. The complete application must be submitted by November 15th / April 30th. If you are already claiming BAföG, your application will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
If you are in financial difficulty, you may submit your application outside of the application period. In such cases, please contact the Department for Equality.
How do I apply for a grant?
- Form with information for applicants: Download Form
- Applicant’s cover letter explaining the applicant’s current situation and their motivation for applying for the grant
- Certificate of enrollment
- Copies of education certificates and grades
- Proof of household income (monthly income and expenses)
- Registration certificates for the applicant and the child’s father.
- Evidence of any custody arrangements
- Child’s birth certificate / “Mutterpass” for pregnant applicants
- Information on childcare provisions
- A reference to evidence your social commitment activities, if any: Download Form
If you have any questions, please contact the Department for Equality, see contact information.